Monday, August 30, 2010

Hippy

That's what Josh calls me. A hippy. He says my "hippy" ways drive him crazy but I think he secretly likes it. I wouldn't call myself this name, but I think 'goinggreenmama' would be more appropriate. Yes, I am obsessed with recycling and think that those who don't do it are completely lazy. And, yes, I try not to let my car run excessively, and yes, I like to clean my house with enviornmentally friendly cleaners but I wouldn't call myself a "hippy". Slowly though, I think Josh is right, our little man Carter now wears cloth diapers (for most of the time, especially when we are at home). Here are the reasons why.

Carter has horribly sensitive skin, I can't use any type of detergent that has any fragrence, color, etc. I have to use super gentle soap that costs a pretty penny, and he has ezema. Poor guy is also allergic to eggs and bug bites! Now I will tell you that I got a blood screen done to check for allergies and it came back that he had none but he had a very clear allergic reaction after eating a small piece of a hard boiled egg (I'm still trying to figure out if he can or cannot eat things with eggs in them). When he gets a bug (mosquito) bite, it swells up so big and nasty that it doesn't go away for months, yes, months.

Back to my cloth diaper reasonings....Carter had a horrible rash for so long and finally at his 15 month check up the doctor let me know that he has to wear chlorine free, all natural diapers, which are expensive! But let's be real here, do I really want chorine on my precious baby's booty anyway? No thanks. So cloth it is! Is it a pain? Yes. Is it more time consuming? Yes. Is it gross and messy at times? Yes. Is it worth it? YES!
I guess I sort of enjoy my hippy ways...

3 comments:

Jessie said...

i love it courtney--keep up all of the good work. you are a fabulous mom!

Kym Jackson said...

I'll be a "hippy" with you if that is what a hippy is :)

Sarah said...

I'm right there with you as well! Not that I've gone quite as far with the cloth diapers, but am definitely a HUGE advocate of the 3 R's! And therefore enjoy others' enthusiasm!