Saturday, March 8, 2008

Another sad day...

Today we had to say goodbye to one of our family members. Don't worry, it's not Ryleigh! It's our youngest dog Charlie. He has been acting aggressively towards Jack lately, growling at him for no reason. I actually woke up this morning to him growling at Jack, it was very strange. So anyway, I brought Charlie to the vet this morning for regular shots and checkup stuff and asked the vet about the growling. He told me that it was probably a case of "little man syndrome" being that he weighs about 20lbs less than Jack. So we get home and Charlie is laying on the floor, I don't know if he was sleeping yet or just trying to go to sleep, but Ryleigh was playing on the floor next to him and she tried to touch him or something and he bit her. He didn't break the skin and she was fine, it just scared her....but it was right above her eye. So, that was it, he had to go. I feel so bad for Jack, he is really gonna miss Charlie but I have had concerns about this and I do not feel comfortable having him in the house with kiddos. There is a silver lining to this crappy day, however. Maw Maw has been looking to get a dog soon. And she recently moved right around the corner from us, literally. She loves Charlie and wanted to take him so I packed up his stuff, shed a few tears, and brought him over to her house. This really was a blessing I feel, now we'll be able to see him almost every day. We can walk Jack over to play with him, and Charlie can come over and play here, and I know he's in good hands! He was really confused when we left, whining and barking, but at least I didn't have to bring him to a shelter! That would have been really hard for me, especially with Josh being in Vegas this weekend. Anyway, I hope this works out for everyone. He really is a perfect dog for Maw Maw. Thankfully, this didn't scare Ryleigh away from dogs or even Charlie. I just had to explain to her that we can't have a dog in the house that bites. She seemed fine with it, and we still have Jack. He is the BEST dog and deserves more attention anyway. My mom said it best, It's like the bad kid in class that gets all of the attention and the good ones are left with none.

I will be happy to pick up Josh tomorrow night, I miss him!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I can relate to this way too much (remember Toby?), but his ending was not as happy. You did the responsible thing, as hard as that may be, and it does sound like a great set-up to have him nearby. May Jack be happy to have the whole fam damily back to himself!

Courtney Smith said...

Thanks Sarah, I have had a yucky weekend, so the reassurance that it was the right thing to do helps! Now Jack can be spoiled again...speaking of spoiling Jacks, how's your Jack doing? He is too cute!

Sarah said...

Jack is doing great! I'm working to get my laptop setup so hopefully I can post some current pics real soon!